Thursday, January 18, 2007

five weeks old (January 18, 2007)

today was another big day for Asher! He is progressing by leaps and bounds!

First off, breastfeeding is going far better than I could have hoped. The nurses and lactation consultants are amazed at how well Asher is doing for his age! Over the past week and a half, we have gradually been increasing the ratio of breastfeed feeds to NG feeds. Today I did four breastfeeds, and Asher still gained weight! He is now just shy of 4 lbs 12 oz. So it looks like starting tomorrow, I'll be bunking in at the hospital for the next little while, as we are trying to get him to exclusively breastfeed! The support for breastfeeding at this hospital is absolutely incredible!

The second big thing today was a move from an isolette to an an open-air cot, since he is now big enough to be able to regulate his own temperature. It was so strange when we came in to see him in a tiny little cot instead of his big isolette!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Praise God..what a blessing....That is awesome that Asher is getting stronger each day...the Lord is faithul and he is blessing you more and more.....soon you'll be watching him sleeping in his crib, won't that be incredible!!! May God be with you all as you continue adapting to this new stage (two kiddies)....KT

Krista said...

Asher looks amazingly healthy! I can see the first glimpses of chubby cheeks! Praise God for that hearty breast milk. Karen - I am praying God gives you supernatural strength as you balance between home with Judah and "living" at the hospital to nurse Asher. Rob - may God give you incredible grace and deepen your limited hours of sleep as you float between home, hospital, and work! Love you both!

Anonymous said...

Awesome news. Praise God! Ma Asher continue to grow strong...in stature and faith.
Love Aunt Ev

Amy said...

He's sooo cute!! I can't wait to meet him! Prayers and blessings this week! I can't wait to see you guys, I really miss you!! Love you lots!!Amyx0

Anonymous said...

Rob & Karen, He looks great! YOu go girl with that breastfeeding! I'm soooooooo glad he's doing so good and gaining weight. God knew exactly who to send asher too, both of you. God Bless, ant toeknee