Sunday, January 14, 2007

one month old already!

Asher is one month old today. It's hard to believe, since I should really be pregnant for another six weeks! The past month has flown by, with all the back and forth to the hospital and everything else in between (pumping, sleeping, and taking care of Judah!). We are really looking forward to having Asher home with us and life returning to some state of normalcy. We don't know when his homecoming will be, but he is doing well and the end is in sight. He is gaining weight on a consistent basis and is starting to nurse more. He is nursing extremely well for his age, and I am so thankful for that, since I had such a hard time nursing Judah at the beginning.

Since Asher is now over 2 kilograms (he weighed 2030 grams tonight, which is about 4 lbs 7 1/2 oz), they will be moving him to an open-air cot as soon as he gets his first Synagis shot, which is a medication that helps prevent RSV. RSV causes cold-like symptoms in adults and children, but for premature babies, it can be very serious. Babies in Ontario born before 32 weeks automatically qualify for monthly doses of Synagis during RSV season. We are thankful that this is covered, because the shots are VERY expensive. I've heard they cost the government over $1000 per shot.


I've finally posted some updates that I had written but never had the time to post. They're up now, if you're interested in going back and reading about Asher's progress in the NICU.

6 comments:

Fiona Popp said...

He looks a lot like Judah!

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that Asher is growing so well, he is so cute.
Love you! Aunt Ev

Unknown said...

We are so happy for you that things are coming together, we will pray for you.....your sons are both gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob and Karen! Not sure if you remember me, but I'm Amy Hoogstad's sister - Sarah. I heard about your precious new son and wanted to check out your blog. He is absolutely beautiful -- Congratulations! May God give you strength during Asher's hospital stay, and may He grant Asher health and a quick homecoming. All the best!
Sarah vanPopta
PS - Judah is a real cutie too:)

ClassiclyAmber said...

Aaaw! Asher is TOO CUTE!! It looks like he's really starting to gain weight now! Aren't his cheeks getting happy and chubby? 8-)

Unknown said...

Wow! He's getting so big! This is awesome! Way to go momma on breast feeding!!!