Tuesday, February 6, 2007

yes, he's home!

After 51 days in the NICU, we were finally able to take our precious baby boy home on Friday! It is such a great feeling to have our whole family under one roof!

After such a long stay in the hospital, taking Asher home was a strange and exciting experience. In some ways, it didn't really feel like he was our baby during his stay in the NICU, so it almost felt like we were doing something wrong when we brought him out of the hospital! Now it's sinking in that he really does belong to us!

He was discharged at 37 + 1 weeks gestation weighing just about 5 lbs 1 oz. He's getting so big! Everything is looking good, aside from the reflux that is very typical with premature babies. Although he is home now, the next month is full of appointments with the eye doctor, family doctor, pediatrician, growth and development clinic, etc, etc...such is the life of a preemie!

Asher is doing great at home. He is a wonderful addition to our family! Judah is an awesome big brother. He always wants to hold Asher or look at him while he's sleeping. He also makes sure to tell me when Asher is crying!

I've posted a lot of pictures for you to enjoy! I'm sure many more will follow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh he is just beautiful (in a very manly way Rob). I have been waiting for another pic of him but knew you were so busy now that you have him home. Congrats again!
Thanks for giving the update.
Love Aunt Ev and Uncle Al

Anonymous said...

Aw! That is so sweet! He looks wonderful and Judah is a gem!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations to your family.. I'm so gald that you wre able to take him home and even before his due date! WAy to go Asher!

Unknown said...

hello.....I am sooooo happy for you all, I know this has been so difficult for you....Praise GOd that Asher is healthy and you can know enjoy each other...take care and we hope to see you all soon, KT

hayley said...

Karen,
That's such great news! sorry i'm bad at replying to the comments you left on my blog . i'm feeling really good for the most part! it's so weird to think that you had asher already at this time in your pregnancy .. i'm so not ready for this baby to be here yet! although another two months sometimes seems like ages. i know i'm going to miss feeling this little person squirming around inside though!

hope everything with asher continues to go so well! it's really amazing how strong and healthy he is.

take care!

Nicole Geerlinks said...

Karen,

I've been checking the blog multiple times a day, waiting to see how he's doing. Sounds like you're all doing well. Praying for you in this transition time! Love you guys,

Nicole

Rachel said...

Kare & Rob, he's beautiful! Thanks for posting Karen - I'm at school right now, and these pictures just brightened my day. send my kisses and hugs to Judah & Asher! I can't wait to come home this weekend and hold him!!
Love you guys,
Rachel :)

amymom24 said...

Congrats Ennemas! Asher is looking so good! I totally know what you meant about the leads coming off for the first time. I felt like we needed to have some sort of ceremony or something:) Glad things are going well. Looks like he's getting some good use out of the sleepers. Its funny how the tag says 3-5 lbs. when what they really mean is 4-8 lbs.!